New chapter helps national charitable organization award Michigan families with adoption assistance grants to welcome home a child in need
Gift of Adoption, a volunteer-driven charity that provides adoption assistance grants to complete the adoptions of vulnerable children, announces the launch of the Michigan chapter and new funding available for Michigan families struggling with the cost of adoption. The Michigan chapter reflects Gift of Adoption’s mission to connect more families across Michigan with the funding needed to bring their children home.
“We believe having a family is the basic right of children everywhere,” said Gift of Adoption Michigan chapter President Jim Berkemeier. “Our goal is to make more adoptions possible and give as many children without families a life they otherwise may not have known.”
Gift of Adoption awards grants of up to $7,500 to parents in need of financial support to open their home to a child, eliminating the financial barriers that often stand in the way for families stepping forward to adopt. Gift of Adoption has awarded $167,000 to families across Michigan to unite 60 children with families facing a financial obstacle. Nationally, Gift of Adoption has awarded more than $5 million in adoption assistance grants to complete adoptions for 1,700+ parentless children.
Community Leaders Launch Michigan Chapter Efforts
The Michigan chapter marks Gift of Adoption’s 12th regional chapter, joining successful chapters currently operating in Arizona, the Carolinas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. Gift of Adoption is proud to welcome the following Michigan residents to its board of directors:
- David Adler is a partner at the law firm of Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C. He resides in Royal Oak, Michigan with his wife.
- Tara Aldea is Senior Vice President of Specialty Sales at Huntington National Bank. She resides in St. Claire Shores, Michigan in the Detroit area with her daughter.
- Matt Allgeier is the founder of Southern Racing, an event management services firm specializing in endurance racing. He resides in Novi, Michigan.
- Jim Berkemeier is Principal at Advocate Commercial Real Estate Advisors. He resides in Jackson, Michigan with his wife and four children.
- Erica Foster is Director of Health Information Management Operations at the University of Michigan. She resides in Lake Orion, MI with her husband Tom Nantais and her daughter, Gina, adopted from Russia.
- Nathan Lundsten is Managing Consultant at Wilson Partners. He resides in Rochester, Michigan in the Detroit area with his wife and three children.
- Eboni Mathis is a faculty member at Macomb Community College and a Senior Director of online education at Montreat College based in Montreat, NC. She resides in Plymouth, Michigan in the Detroit area with her son.
- Akemi Mitchell is Senior Director of Quality Management at Amcor Rigid Plastics. She resides in Livonia, Michigan with her husband Anthony.
- Michele Oliveto-Hill is the founder of healthcare consulting firm, Oliveto Consulting, Inc. She resides in Highland, Michigan in the Detroit area with her husband and two children.
- Kendall Veliu is Regional Vice President of Michigan and Ohio with Malone Staffing Solutions. She resides in Commerce Township, Michigan in the Detroit area with her husband and two children.
Gift of Adoption invites families across Michigan who are struggling with the cost of adoption to apply to Gift of Adoption for adoption assistance grants. Any U.S. citizen adopting from anywhere in the world (domestic or international) who has an approved home study from a COA-accredited agency is eligible to apply and financial need must be demonstrated.
The Michigan chapter is also seeking community leaders who are passionate about improving the lives of children and building families through adoption to join the board of directors and help the organization reach more families in Michigan. For more information on getting involved or to apply for a grant, visit http://giftofadoption.org/.
About Gift of Adoption Fund
Gift of Adoption Fund is a national 501(c)3 charitable organization that provides the final funds needed to complete the adoption of vulnerable children – giving them permanent families and a chance to thrive. The organization helps fund domestic and international adoptions of vulnerable and at-risk children. Visit http://www.giftofadoption.org to learn more on how to put adoption in reach for more of the 140 million children worldwide in need of families.