While not solely limited to these categories, Gift of Adoption’s greatest funding priorities encompass:
For domestic adoptions, the priority is to award grants that:
- Help keep children from entering the foster care system (this includes relative and kinship adoptions).
- Unite biological siblings or prevent them from being separated.
For international adoptions, the priority is to award grants that:
- Unite or preserve biological siblings.
- Prevent a child from ‘aging-out’ of the orphanage system.
- Prevent special needs children from becoming institutionalized.
- Facilitate the placement of a child with a life-threatening medical condition who will not receive proper care until adopted.
How it Works
Adoption Assistance Grant Application Process
Step One: Fill out the form to download our adoption assistance grant application and then complete and sign it.
Step Two: Submit each of the following items to the Gift of Adoption Fund:
- Completed and signed adoption assistance grant application packet
- Copy of your most recent income tax return
- Copy of recent (two months) check stubs for all reported income earners. Please note if you are self employed you must provide the last two months of your business/personal bank account statements to show proof of income.
- Copy of your approved and current home study [Note: If your state laws prevent your home study from being released to you or a third party (e.g. Colorado), you must provide a statement signed by your agency confirming that you have a successful home study on file and that you have been approved to adopt the child with whom you are matched.]
- Two (2) letters of reference – most applicants will make copies of the letters of reference that were used to obtain their home study.
- Check or Money Order payable to Gift of Adoption Fund in the amount of $50
The non-refundable processing fee of $50 is a one-time application fee required to process your adoption assistance grant application; it entitles you to submit your case for review up to three times (qualification requirements apply for all three submissions).
Step Three: Grant applications must be mailed to:
Gift of Adoption Fund
Attn Application Processing
P.O. Box 567
Techny, IL 60082
Please note: Adoption assistance grant applications are not accepted electronically. The grant application process can take up to 60 days.
Resources: Just getting started in the adoption process and not sure where to start? We recommend these four informative sites: